Having had tons of stuff to do recently on Saturdays, I've been trying to plan rides on Sundays. Of course, any plan is subject to change here anymore because of the iffy weather. So heading into the weekend, I knew that again Sunday was going to be my day to ride. Of course, there's no rain in the forecast, but the high today was predicted to be 97°F. Don't know about you, but this is one reason I HATE summer. Everyone around me bitches and moans about snow and colder weather, so this is my opportunity to complain. I hate the heat, and I hate humidity. Fortunately, there hasn't been much of either until now. I decided that I would get up early (which by the way, I also loathe), get my ride in then head into the A/C for the duration of the day.
So, I set my clock for 0630 with the plan to get up and go ride without taking time to fix breakfast. I'm not usually that hungry when I wake up, but during the week, I have to eat because there's no time once you clock in. I got up did the requisite things in order to get ready to ride. I was on the bike and rolling at 0658. My plan was ride an out-and-back. I would head down Plantation Road to Hollins Road to Sanderson to Read Mountain Road to Route 11. Route 11 would take me through Troutville, to Nace Road. I planned to ride out Nace and Lithia Roads then turn around and retrace my path. It took me 46 minutes (12.2 miles) to get from Home to Nace Road. I enjoy riding Nace and Lithia because they are rural, low traffic and offer a steady downhill on the way out and a steady uphill on the way home. There is no shortage of neat things to look at or wonder about.
Of course, when I set off from home, it never occurred to me that it might be a tad on the cool side. I was actually wishing that I had worn a baselayer or brought along one of my sleeveless jerseys and arm warmers. I literally had goosebumps on my arms and legs from Hollins Road until about halfway along Lithia. Once I reached Rt. 11, I ate half of my granola bar then turned for home. Around 0845, the heat got cranking. I swear it was like someone flipped the switch. Weird. Of course, this is about the same time I was trying to climb the steady climb. I felt like my legs had zero power or that something was wrong. I just couldn't pedal as efficiently as I had been. I looked down to see the "marker" tape around my seat post was all squished. My seatpost had dropped at least an inch! No wonder I was having such a hard time. I don't have the bike's original collar on it right now as the bolt head looked like it was getting stripped out. I am planning to head out to the hardware or somewhere to buy a substitute bolt until I can get the correct replacement. The collar that is on the bike is evidently too big and doesn't hold the seat post properly. As I rode, I debated whether I would be able to loosen the stupid collar and raise the seat up. Otherwise, it was going to be a long trip home. I stopped after I got back on Rt. 11 and was able to successfully raise the seat back up. At least, now I could get more out of a pedal stroke. Sheesh, maybe I am high maintenance.
Miles | 45.0 |
Time | 2:51:42 |
Avg Speed | 15.7mph |
Max Speed | 33.5mph |
Avg HR | 135bpm |
Max HR | 167bpm |
Wildlife spotted | Cows, horses, sheep, crows, birds, squirrel, field mice, turtles x 2, green snake (that I accidently ran over) |
Anyway, I made it back home in decent time. I was getting really tired – my legs were aching. I think the seatpost thing threw me off. I didn't think I was going to make it up back up the last hill towards home. That would be embarrassing – having to walk that close to home is forbidden. I was very glad to roll into the backyard and get off the bike. I enjoyed my ride. I do think I can do better than I did today. In fact, I know I can. Not too bad though for not having ridden the road bike in a while much less a longer ride like today.
As I sit and type this blog (1343) it is 87°F, 45% humidity and a 10mph wind… Odd…
This blog written and published using Microsoft Word.
2 comments:
Sounds like a long ride to me. Yikes.
I think you need a team car and full time mechanic!
Well considering the heat and the bikes issues, it sounds like you toughed it out. A little pain, some gain.
P.S. I'm with you. Not a big fan of hot, sticky weather. I liked July better!
Post a Comment